A new spin on a holiday favorite.
5 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
3½ cup heavy cream
15 oz Canned pumpkin
2 tsp vanilla extract
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp dark rum
1 tsp powdered gelatin
3 oz shaved dark chocolate
- Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and move to the side.
- Whisk the yolks, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and 3/4 cup cream together in a medium saucepan. Heat while stirring continuously with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon over medium-low heat, until thickened and the mixture coats the spatula — about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set over the ice bath. Stir to cool.
- Add pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt to the egg mixture. Stir 1 tablespoon rum and 1 teaspoon gelatin together in a small bowl.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon rum, and stir in to the gelatin mixture until dissolved. Gently whisk into the pumpkin mixture.
- Beat 1/2 cup cream to stiff peaks, and fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour into a shallow dish, cover and chill until cold and thick enough to fall from a spoon in heavy dollops — about 8 hours or up to overnight.
- Beat the remaining cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Alternately layer the pumpkin mousse and whipped cream in a glass serving dish. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings between top two layers.
- Serve chilled.