SO WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU?
You can still ride the Freon wave for a while longer, but this isn’t some weird chemistry experiment that has nothing to do with you. It’s time to think about how this phase-out will affect your life, and that means staying cool and warm. Here are some pros and cons you will have to consider:
STAYING WITH YOUR OLD SYSTEM WITH ADJUSTMENTS
Let’s start with the depressing stuff.
– You can keep riding out your Freon AC by pursuing some retrofitting adjustments. This will allow you to use an alternate substance the EPA has allowed, but know this – Retrofitting your unit can be done but doesn’t always work. If your unit is older than 10 years or has faulty parts, adding a new substance with an adjustment doesn’t always work. Some machines are not made to be upgraded past their prime.
– If you keep using your current unit and don’t do anything, eventually Freon’s cost will increase, and if your unit goes out or fails anyway, you have wasted your time and money that you could have invested in a new system.
– Consider the Freon Cost, the price to retrofit, the price to flush out your system prior to retrofitting, and what you will do in the upcoming years. All of this is short term. Eventually, you will need to make a decision about how you will stay cool. This is like ignoring a cavity in your mouth until the tooth falls out. Then you have a bigger, more expensive problem.
– Remember, not doing anything is still doing something. You don’t have to take action, but if your AC unit goes out during July or August, you might not like your options when you try to get it repaired.
STARTING FRESH WITH A NEW SYSTEM
– With Freon on the way out this is an opportunity to invest in your home. While
purchasing a new unit seems expensive, the payoff will come later when you don’t have to deal with the rising Freon cost, and with your new system, the energy bills will be substantially less expensive.
– If you contact Accurate to consult your property and home, we can help you make the best decision financially and mechanically so you can get the newest efficient system that will increase the value of your home. Investing in new HVAC technology that not only will save you money on your energy bills but will also increase the value of your property or home. The positive return out of getting a new system that doesn’t rely on Freon will create a healthier environment for you and your family. Plus you will be living in the future with all the technological advances a new system has to offer.
– You are helping the environment by doing your part. Freon is a threat to our ozone, and with everything else we have to deal with in Southern California, you can take comfort in knowing you are contributing to making our environment a cleaner and better place to breathe and live.
– By taking action now you can avoid scrambling finances or rushing your decisions when it’s crunch time. Eventually, everyone with an older unit dependent on Freon will all have to deal with the phase-out. By actively making your changes you can get a start on the market before the sellers start increasing their prices when the demand goes up.
Still have questions, give us a call and we can help.
Want to know more about the R-22 Freon Phase-Out? Read our article on The R-22 Freon Phase-Out and What You Need to Know here.