You may think you would notice a water leak or busted pipe right away. The truth is, sometimes the signs of water damage are hidden. Remember, water leaks can occur anywhere: ceilings, walls, floors, exterior/foundations, attics/roofs, appliances, etc. Here are some warning signs to look for:
- Water Damage – Signs of water damage almost always point to a leak in your home. These signs can include water accumulation/pooling water, discoloration of ceilings/walls, warped paint or wallpaper, changes in floor texture (warping, buckling, sagging, expansion), and an unusual odor.
- Drop in Water Pressure – If you water is flowing at a lower pressure than usual, it could be a sign that some of your water is going somewhere else.
- Sudden Increase in Water Use/Bill – If your water usage has stayed the same but you bill is suddenly increased or is steadily rising, a water leak could be the culprit.
- Unusual Noises Coming From Pipes – Listen to your pipes, they could be telling you something. In noticing leaks people have reported all different types of noises coming from their pipes.
- Mildew or Mold – Mold thrives on moist, dark areas, and a pipe, which is typically hidden in a wall or under flooring. This provides the perfect starting point for mold or mildew if there is a leak.
It is important to regularly check your home for signs of a water leak, especially if your home is older without any previous pipe repair/replacement. Noticing a potential issue sooner rather than later can save you time and money.
If you have any questions or suspect that you may have a leaking pipe, give our office a call at 800-947-1747 and we can help you.